Summary on INCR 2023

1. Introduction

        In October 2023, the International Numerical Modeling Contest of Rock Mechanics and Engineering (INCR 2023) was successfully organized. For the first time, INCR implemented a rigorous pre-registration system. Teams from various countries or regions, including China, China-Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, Singapore, Australia, and more, participated in the contest, with a total of 80 registered teams. Out of these, 47 teams submitted their final result documents, with 39 teams working on Task A (Rock Failure) and 8 teams working on Task B (Particle Flow). Various numerical methods or software were utilized in INCR 2023, including ANSYS, ABAQUS, PFM, PD, FLAC, RFPA, DICE2D, PFC, DDA, DLSM, 4D-LSM, CDEM, FEM-SPH, among others. To evaluate the results submitted by the participating teams, a panel of experts in rock mechanics was convened.


2. Scoring

        The scoring rules are as follows:

        The competition is divided into two groups, Task A and Task B. Tasks both have a maximum score of 100, and the scores of tasks are composed as follows:


        Task A comprises two sections: writing (weight 20%) and results (weight 80%). The results section is further divided into calibration (weight 25%) and prediction (weight 75%). The calibration and prediction are further divided into two parts: the failure image and the simulation data, with weights of 30% and 70% respectively. The score composition for Task B is similar to it for Task A. However, based on the characteristics of Task B, only the simulation data is included in the calibration and prediction sections. Finally, the percentage of each item's score in the total score is as follows:

Score of Task AScore of Task B

        Based on the characteristics of the scoring items, they are divided into two categories: subjective and objective scores. Among them: 1. The subjective score of Task A accounts for 44%, and the objective score accounts for 56%; 2. The subjective score of Task B accounts for 20%, and the objective score accounts for 80%.

        The scoring method for subjective scores is as follows: a review team consisting of five experienced peers will be formed to score each item of the submitted documents. The scores are mainly divided into five levels: A (perfect), B (very good), C (good), D (acceptable), and N (no data provided). These five levels correspond to scores of 90, 80, 70, 60, and 0, respectively. The subjective score of the document will be calculated based on the review results.

        The scoring method for the objective score is as follows: 1. Calculate the relative error based on the simulated data and experimental data provided by the document; 2. Calculate the cumulative distribution probability of the relative error for all participating teams; 3. Give 100 points for errors with cumulative distribution probability in the top 10%; For errors with a cumulative distribution probability of 10% to 80%, linear interpolation is used to calculate the score; If data is provided, a score of at least 60 points will be given. If no data is provided, a score of 0 will be given; 4. Calculate the objective score.


3.Award list

        On October 28, 2023 (Beijing Time), the award list of INCR 2023 has been announced at ICADD16 in Chengdu, China.


        Thanks to the groups that provided the competition questions and awarded the Outstanding Contribution Awards.


        Rank the teams of Task A and Task B separately.